We’re continuing our What We’re Excited About series, where each month we will share what a few of us are looking forward to for the month. Keeping it local, real and giving you, our readers, a chance to get to know us a little better.
Amy, Owner & Chief Curator
Married, Mom to Maverick (1 year)
- What I’m buying for me: Lifetime Leather is a local Arizona company making incredible leather goods right here in the East Valley. I first discovered them back when Mezona Market was open in downtown Mesa and have purchased several gifts from them. They just released a new women’s backpack and I’m obsessed and ordered it in the brandy color.
- What I’m buying my kid: A water table. From what I understand, they’re pretty much mandatory here in the Valley for surviving summer with a little one!
- What I’m reading: Cara just gave me her copy of The Last Mrs. Parrish by Lynne Constantine and Valerie Constantine. I’ve followed Modern Mrs. Darcy’s yearly reading challenge the last few years, and this month’s ‘challenge’ was to read a book loaned from a friend, so this book was meant to be for me right now.
- What’s on my calendar: A staycation in Scottsdale at the Phoenician. Obviously Maverick is a little bit small to have had a spring break in March, so we’re doing a summer preview staycation before it gets too hot! (For new-to-the-Valley moms, most resorts here in town do amazing discounted deals for staycations over the summer, we’ll be sharing more about the best offers this summer soon.)
- Where I’m taking my kid: Swimming lessons! I’m currently shopping around all the options for parent/child swim lessons to get him enrolled ASAP. I was a competitive swimmer in high school and live for the water and I’m so excited to share that love with Maverick as temperatures start warming up.
Cara, Site Manager
Married, Mom of 2 (4.5 & 6)
- What I’m buying for me: Summer clothes. This is my first summer in my new body and I can honestly say “I have nothing to wear.” I am a minimalist when it comes to my wardrobe, so I’ll probably invest in some quality basics that will last. I absolutely love shopping now, so I’m not too torn up about having to do this.
- What I’m buying for the kids: My kids share a room and we’re in the market for a bunk bed for them. I’m planning on shopping around some local furniture stores and Facebook Marketplace to see what’s out there.
- What I’m reading: I fell behind in my goal to read one book a month in 2021. March was tough month for our family, so I didn’t have a ton of time to read. I just started reading Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage and hope to finish it by mid-April so I can finish two books this month and be caught up on my goal!
- What’s on my calendar: We have a summer pool preview at the Phoenician scheduled with the fam. We live in walking distance to the resort, so I’m pretty excited to actually get to go instead of just driving by. (We spent our wedding night there, too, and haven’t been back since!) Amy and I are also hoping to find some time to escape for a little moms-only weekend, so fingers crossed we can make that happen before the end of school!
- Where I’m taking my kids: We’re visiting the Odysea Aquarium! We live pretty close to the aquarium, but have only been once. We have family with young kids visiting from NYC, so we’re taking them there and to Butterfly Wonderland!
Kira, Veteran Contributor
Married, Mom of 4 (11, 8, 6 & 8 months)
- What I’m buying for me: I am trying the new Magnet Extreme Lengthening Mascara from Benefit and am V excited for it. I am hoping it cures my itch to get lash extensions again.
- What I’m buying for the kids: Easter basket fun – I love finding fun, functional things for my girls and am extra excited for a baby boy Easter basket this year! I am also looking for cute, matching spring/Easter jammies – Hannah Anderson has some great options.
- What I’m reading: Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner. Real talk…I purchased this book LAST summer thinking I would read it on maternity leave. That clearly did not happen! Like all her books, fun, easy read!
- What’s on my calendar: We’re taking the kids to the Arizona Science Center for their traveling Astronaut exhibition towards the end of the month. It’s live through the end of May.
- Where I’m taking my kids: I am looking forward to enjoying all the recently renovated community parks in Las Sendas now that the weather is just right! Also, hoping to hit up the Power Food Truck Park another few weekends before it gets too hot. If you haven’t been, it’s a great place to go on a Friday night for a variety of food options, music, and fun all outdoors.