Halloween is just around the corner! That is almost too hard to believe as March seemed like it was 90 days long.
I am sure Halloween will be cancelled just like everything else; but can you really cancel Halloween? You can cancel trick-or-treating, I guess, but I don’t think you can cancel the spirit of Halloween. Plus, people can just wear masks as their costumes!
Regardless of what happens, we will still be celebrating in this house! My son may only be 1.5 and not remember, but I will. I want to have these memories!
This mom is all for dressing up and even wearing matching costumes! I am looking forward to the years where he is excited about dressing up and asks me to be his sidekick. Yes, I am aware that those years will be short lived, but I will embrace them for as long as I have them. I know most “mommy and me” stuff is for moms with girls, but I want to change that. I am also here for the matching Vans, Converse, flannels, beanies…and bro tanks!
So, onto costumes…
For his first year, we dressed up as Harry Potter characters (surprise!). I was a Hufflepuff student and he was my little mandrake. Now that he can walk, there are so many options. I still want to keep it simple and utilize stuff we have around the house. I love making costumes and shopping at thrift stores for them.
As I write this, I am still undecided as to what we will be. Maybe a pair of scarecrows or he will be a lumberjack and I’ll be a pancake.
Here are some cute ideas for you and your son (or daughter!)
- Maverick and Goose from Top Gun: This is a given for us and will definitely happen since I named him Maverick, after all. Can you imagine a cute baby in a flying jumpsuit? Sign me up any day!
- Willy Wonka and an Oompa Lompa: Yes, moms can be Willa Wonka, it is Halloween and gender norms don’t apply! Also, a baby in overalls os always a good idea.
- Jack Skellington and Sally: This would just be so fun to embrace the whole look with face paint.
- Moana characters: This is our favorite movie! Mom can dress up as Te Fiti an son can be Hei Hei, Pua, or even a coconut pirate!
- Beauty and the Beast: This one is straight forward and a classic.
- Where the Wild Things Are: I’ll eat you up, I love you so. Max is perfect for your toddler and mom could be a wild thing!
- Gamora and Baby Groot: This own can be easy to make with some green paint, black top and pants and a brown sweat suit and paper hat for Groot.
- Ghostbusters: mama can be a Ghostbuster and baby can be a Chubby Puff!
I hope this sparks some ideas for you and your little one! No matter what Halloween looks like this year, I hope you can get creative and have fun dressing up with your kids!
Looking for more Halloween fun in the Valley? Be sure to check out the 2020 EVMB Fall Guide!