Mesa spoiled me with a variety of affordable family activities close to home so I was hopeful I could have the same experience in the Florence area.
I was pleased to learn there are a plethora of fantastic free finds within 15 minutes of my new locale. Thankfully, 2023 has marked the return of many community activities in the East Valley, including ones for us far-easterners.
Here are a few of my favorite free activities in San Tan Valley, Coolidge and my new home Florence.
1. Pinal County Libraries Preschool Story Hours – each library has its own free independent story hours for ages 0-5 that include librarian led book reading, singing, crafts and sometimes even snacks! Check out the calendar for all the local libraries with even more events for the whole family https://pcld.libnet.info/events?r=thismonth
- Florence Library 778 N. Main St. Florence, AZ 85132-Tuesdays 11am-12pm
- San Tan Library 31505 N. Schnepf Rd. San Tan Valley, AZ 85143-Tuesdays 10am-11am
- Coolidge Library 160 W. Central Ave. Coolidge, AZ 85128-Wednesdays 10:15am-11:15am
2. Casa Grande Ruins National Monument at 1100 W Ruins Dr, Coolidge, AZ 85128 preserves a group of Hohokam structures dating to the Classic Period. This free local treasure is not only educational but fun for the whole family. Explore the ruins, watch the movie and enjoy a picnic! More info here https://www.nps.gov/cagr/index.htm
Every Wednesday from 1-2pm they have a live speaker series so you can learn more about the history of the ruins.
3. Pinal County Historical Museum, 715 South Main Street ∙ P.O. Box 851 ∙ Florence, Arizona 85132 Located on Main Street in the Town of Florence the PCHS has an extensive collection on display both within the Museum and in the yard where agricultural equipment, retired fire vehicles and a homestead cottage can be found. There is free admission and events on any given day of the month so check out their website so you can plan to check out the robust history of Florence with the kiddos. https://www.pinalcountyhistoricalmuseum.org/events.htm
4. Hiking “F” Mountain-Poston Butte Hill is an easy kid-friendly 1 mile loop trail in Florence, Arizona. It is also educational since it contains a memorial for the “Father of Arizona” Charles Poston. Find specific directions and more information here https://arizonahiking.org/83-phoenix-area-and-central-arizona/443-poston-butte
5. Central Arizona College Signal Peak Campus 8470 North Overfield Road
Coolidge, AZ 85128 offers free community activities for whole family. From seasonal concerts to educational classes, your littles can experience college life right in their backyard. See their calendar here https://centralaz.edu/community/community-events/
6. Downtown Florence Historic District is full of old town charm but with all the new businesses opening it also has the modern charm like other East Valley cities. Check out the calendar for a list of events http://www.florenceaz.gov/calendar/
- 3rd Fridays is free fun for the whole family. Live Music and fun while you explore downtown
- Florence Farmers Market every 1st and 3rd Saturdays is free to attend
7. Windmill Winery at 1140 W. Butte Ave., Florence, AZ 85132 is more than just a beautiful wedding venue and winery. They offer free entry events for date nights and even kid-friendly options. Their full calendar can be found at https://www.thewindmillwinery.com/wine-tasting-room
To see what we love about other areas in the east valley, click here