It’s that time of year when you are probably wondering why in the world you live in AZ! While 100+ is nothing to joke about, I can tell you first hand that the Grand Canyon State has plenty to be missed. We moved to St. Petersburg, FL in late February and besides our dear family and friends, there are a few things I am constantly homesick for.
- Mexican Food – From the romantic patio setting at El Zocalo in Chandler, to the great Happy Hour deals at Nandos, I miss everything there is to miss about salsa.
- Scenery – My top pick for watching the sunset is hands down the Wild Horse Pass Resort patio. For a summer sunrise, I love the back hills of South Mountain. It’s the perfect reward after a long run.
- Parks & Rec – The local municipalities Park & Rec programs are amazing for families. I completely took for granted that every City would have a magazine menu filled with inexpensive activities for the kids. Here’s a quick link to Chandler, Mesa, Tempe & Gilbert as they gear up for the Fall programs.
- Staycations – With the heat comes some amazing deals at local hotels! Our favorite getaway is the Camelback Inn. The staff is quite kid friendly and the grounds provide lush grass (yep, even in the summer) for the kids to run around on and live music during the weekends. I’m told you can still get a few good deals through September.
- Local Flair – Arizona gets a bad rap for it’s strip mall suburbs but this gal is missing her Mom & Pops shops! A few of my favorites: AZ Bread Co. – Amazing breakfast, local chatter and greetings from the owner Carol make this stop a weekend must do! Changing Hands Bookstore – Local authors, national signings and the best stop for used books. Grove Coffee – Cute little sit and sip spot within The Grove church! It’s open to the public and a great spot to read a book, meet up with a friend and avoid the madhouse of chain coffee houses.
As you can tell, I’m missing AZ and the great time to be had. Please share your favorite things about the East Valley so that I can still be in the know on my next vacation. And, if you ever make it to the Tampa Bay area, I’ll keep working on my list of favorites here!