Some people aren’t food people. They don’t care what they eat, as long as they survive. Some people genuinely like healthy foods. They ENJOY their salads, and would rather eat that then a cheeseburger. And SOME people (like me) love all the things that are horrible for you, like pizzas and desserts.
There is no right or wrong, everyone is different and has different tastes. It’s all about moderation. But, I have a sweet tooth. I love desserts. I also love pizza, and cheeseburgers. However having Gestational Diabetes really puts a damper on everything I’m craving.
I realized that some people may be in the same boat. Maybe you have Gestational Diabetes, or maybe you just want to be on a low-carb diet to loose some weight. Either way, I’ve found some things that have helped me stay sane, when I really want to eat horribly.
Here are my tips and tricks for survival:
- Cheese! Cheese is in fact low carb, so you can load up all the cheese you want to make things slightly more tolerable.
- Sour Cream! Sour Cream also has barely any carbs- So you can load up on that as well!
- Protein-Style Cheeseburgers. When I really want a cheeseburger, I go to In-n-Out and get one protein style!
- Chipotle! If I’m craving Mexican, I stop at Chipotle and get a bowl or salad! You can still have almost everything there, besides the tortilla. Just make sure you ask for only one scoop of rice! (Most of the time give you two)
- Buffalo Wings!! You can have delicious buffalo wings!! Just make sure you go Bone-In so you don’t get all the fried breading!
- Bacon! Eat all the Bacon, and really eat all the meats!!
- Chick-fil-a! You can totally enjoy some chicken nuggets from Chick-fil-a!
- Cheesecake! Cheesecake was my saving grace during my first pregnancy. When you really want dessert, a slice of cheesecake does the trick. Hint: You can even drizzle a tiny amount of chocolate on top- YUM!
- Cool Whip!! Another saving grace when I want to have dessert was a small bowl of cool whip with some fruit. Fruit can be high in carbs though, so minimize how many you eat- Berries are best!
- SuperGreens Spaghetti Noodles. Craving a bowl of pasta?? We found SuperGreens Noodles do the trick! Just watch how many carbs you add in with sauce.
- Zucchini Fries. Harder to achieve, but maybe you’re an awesome cook? I love Zucchini Fries from Zinburger when I really want fries and a cheeseburger. Bonus! You can get their no buns burger with zucchini fries and keep your numbers low!
- Pinterest Low-Carb Casserole Recipes!! A lot of casseroles can be made low-carb! Meats, Cheeses, and all kinds of goodies are considered low-carb. I found an awesome cheeseburger casserole, and pizza casserole that are low-carb and amazing!
- Sparkling Ice Waters. When you are craving a soda, or something other than water- Sparkling Ice is awesome! They are bubbly and carbonated enough to satisfy that soda craving (kind of), and most of them actually have a ton of flavor, unlike other flavored waters.
- Starbucks! If you are a Starbucks addict like me, there are a lot of options when it comes to being low-carb. It really just depends on your taste. Unsweetened teas have no carbs, along with coffee that doesn’t have cream. My best advice is to look up a low-carb option closest to your normal drink of choice. Feel free to message me or contact me for advice on this as well!
These are just a FEW of all the tips I’ve found being on a low-carb diet. These are by no means “healthy” but are considered low-carb and low-sugar. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a pretty unhealthy eater. These satisfy some cravings while keeping my sugars low! Hope they help!