Yes, we’re all trying to make the best of the cooler temperatures this time of year to nurture outdoorsy time with our kids, from the backyard and beyond.
Here’s a few ideas for every age/stage for getting those hours logged for 1000 hours outside for 2023!
East Valley Moms
- Find our favorite parks for infants in this blog post!
- Tummy time in the backyard | It’s perfect weather midday for putting out a blanket and toys for tummy time with some vitamin D!
- Stroller breakfasts | Never too early to kickoff this morning tradition, here’s how to start daily stroller breakfasts!
- Mommy and Me Hiking Meetups | Our next one is January 20 at 9 a.m., free for families, it’s a low-key, low-stakes outdoor outing with other local moms. RSVP here.
- Fishing | I’ve been taking my toddler fishing at the city ponds this winter. We have his $12 kids fishing pole that has a plastic fish on the end of the line for him to reel in as many times as possible, so no hooks and worms to worry about.
- Chalk art | This has been on repeat for Lindsay’s big age gap siblings this month, plus when rains hit in late December, it was excitement for a new canvas each time the rain came!
- Nightly walks | We’ve bundled up our two toddlers along with the dogs for a nightly walk that we all enjoy. The kids love ‘walking the dogs’ and we’re enjoying a little bit of intentional movement bundled up together.
- Carl’s Damaged Animals | Right outside the Riparian Preserve is a residential home that has rescued cows, pigs, donkeys and more that kids can feed.
- Movies in the Park | I’m not sure if this really counts as outdoorsy play, since it is screen time, but man kids sure love movies under the stars!
- Backyard bonfires | The allure of s’mores is more than enough to teach kids the love of sitting around the campfire (aka fire pit).
- Soccer goals | If Santa brought a soccer net, or a basketball hoop, this is the time to get all the practice in!
- Mountain Biking Trails | Desert Trails Park in Mesa is an easily accessible park for beginners to try something new this season.
- Football | Two of Amanda’s pre-teen boys have been doing daily football meetups with their friends at the park.
- Snowboarding | This is the time for SNOW in Arizona!!! Easily a day trip, if your tweens want to be snow bunnies, this could be a splurge-worthy outdoor activity.