I don’t know about you, but how I start my morning can really effect the rest of my day. Early on in my motherhood journey, back when there wasn’t a clear cut start to my day because it felt like I was up all throughout the day and night, the only intentional way to start my day was to sleep in as long as I could. I said bye to my alarm clock and any morning routine I had, because I knew sleep was the priority. So before we even start this conversation, I want to acknowledge that sometimes sleep is the priority…and that’s okay! Know what you need to start your day right, and if sleep is it, then turn off the alarm clock, my friend!
But what about when your child does start having a consistent, predictable sleep routine? Well then, it may be beneficial to set your alarm clock before you know the littles will wake up, just to get some time for YOU. We don’t get that often as moms, do we? Whether you are a stay at home mom, a working mom, or some version of both, I would bet most of your time is centered around meeting other people’s needs. It’s so important to take some time to fill our cup, and doing that first thing in the morning can be a real game changer.
Here are 8 ideas for creating a morning routine that helps you start your day feeling refreshed and ready to take on whatever lies ahead:
1) Enjoy a cup of coffee (or tea, or lemon water) without distractions and while it’s still hot. (What a concept!)
2) Take a shower and get yourself ready. I don’t know about you, but I feel like these days I spend more time picking out my daughter’s outfit than my own…and that’s assuming I do pick out my own outfit and don’t stay in sweats all day, ha! It can be so nice to get ourselves ready first.
3) Go for a walk. Enjoy the cool(ish?) Arizona mornings and get some steps in!
4) Crack open a book. I love sitting on the couch and reading in the morning, it’s such a relaxing way to start the day and get my brain moving.
5) Get a workout in. I’ll be honest, this is probably what I do the least, but what makes me feel the best. So I’m working on this one!
6) Cook a nice breakfast. My husband loves cooking, it’s truly a form of relaxation for him. So if that’s you, wake up before your kiddos so you can make breakfast uninterrupted!
7) Put the phone down & make a to-do list with good ol’ pen and paper. Sometimes, our brains wake up already overwhelmed and overstimulated. Does that ever happen to you? It’s easy to scroll our phones first thing in the morning, but I find that just adds to the noise. Set your phone down and do a brain dump exercise of writing down anything nagging at you.
8) Enjoy some silence. Sitting & doing nothing can feel so “unproductive,” but in a world that glorifies busy, it can be so important to embrace stillness. So maybe the best morning routine for you is sitting, doing nothing, and enjoying some quiet.
So tell me, do you have a morning routine? What helps you start your day on the right foot?